Beginner’s Guide: How to Start a WordPress blog in 2018
In this blog post, I have mentioned 3 different methods, using any of them you can install Plugins in WordPress easily.
Install WordPress Plugins from Official Plugin Directory
This is the simplest way to install a Plugin on WordPress site. There are hundreds of free plugins available in the WordPress Plugin directory.
Before installing a plugin always check the reviews and since how long the plugin is not updated. If the plugin hasn’t been updated for years, that means the developer seems less interested in.
Step by Step guide
- First login to your WordPress dashboard by visiting “yourdomainname/wp-admin”. Replace domain name with your actual domain name.
- In the sidebar, hover your mouse over the Plugins option and then click Add New.
- Now you are inside the Plugin directory, here you can find hundreds of plugins. Type the name of the plugin in the search bar. In my case, I searched for Contact Form Plugin.
- Now click on the Plugin you want to install, read the documentation and reviews before installing any plugin. Click Install Now button.
- WordPress will start installing the plugin, Click Activate to activate the plugin.
That’s it. You have successfully learned how to install and activate a WordPress plugin.
Upload new Plugin to your site
This method is generally used for if you have downloaded a Premium WordPress plugin from third-party sites. To install the plugin, you need to upload the .zip file.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard. Hover the mouse over Plugins and click Add New.
- In the next screen, click Upload Plugin button at the top.
- Click choose file and browse and select the .zip file from your computer. Then click Install Now button.
- Now your plugin will be installed. Now you need to activate the plugin by clicking the Activate Plugin link on the next screen.
Congrats! You have successfully uploaded your plugin zip file.
Manually Install a WordPress Plugin via FTP (FileZilla)
This is the most advanced way of installing WordPress Plugins. You need an FTP client software – FileZilla to manually upload files to the website server. This method is least recommended for beginners. If you have any issue while connecting to your FTP account, you can ask for the solution in the comments box, I’ll try my best to resolve your problem.
Before uploading plugin via FTP, unzip your downloaded plugin folder using Winrar. Now follow the steps mentioned below:
- Using FileZilla, login to your FTP account.
- Go to wp-admin/plugins directory.
- Upload the unzipped plugin folder from your PC to wp-admin/plugins/ directory. It will automatically install the plugin.
- Now go to your WordPress dashboard. In the sidebar, Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins.
- You will find your uploaded plugin here, Click Activate to activate the plugin.
Great! You have successfully uploaded a Plugin to your site server via FTP.
That’s it from this WordPress Guide, If you’re a beginner, then I would recommend you to use the first 2 methods for installing WordPress Plugins.
If you have any issues regarding installing and activating WordPress Plugins, let me know by leaving a comment below.